108 Emergency Ambulance Services
GVK EMRI launched 108 services in Assam with a fleet of 20 ambulances on 6th November 2008. Currently GVK EMRI - Assam has a fleet of over 280 ambulances spanning the state and the Emergency Response Centre "ERC", has already attended to average of over 1200 emergency calls per day. The 108 Emergency Response Service is a free emergency service providing integrated medical, police and fire emergency services. GVK EMRI operates Dial 108 in Emergency in public private partnership with state governments. The service is normally free to patients.
When an emergency is reported through 108, the call taker gathers the needed basic information and dispatches appropriate services. Basic information obtained includes:
- Where the call is placed from. ( district / taluka /city / town / exact location / landmark )
- The type of emergency.
- Number of people injured and the condition of the injured.
- The caller's name and contact number – for location guidance if required.
Emergency help dispatched through this process is expected to reach the site of the emergency in an average of 18 minutes. Pre-hospital care will be given to patients being transported to the nearest hospital.
The main highlights are:-
- It is a 24x7 emergency service.
- Toll Free number available from landline or mobile
- Emergency help will reach you in an average of 18 minutes
- Vision 2011
- Provide Emergency Response Services under Public Private Partnership (PPP) framework.
- Respond to 30 million emergencies and save 1 million lives annually.
- Deliver services at global standards through Leadership, Innovation, Technology, Research and Training.108 Emergency Response Service is a 24X7 emergency service for medical, police and fire emergencies. The service is available for the entire state of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, Goa, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Assam, Meghalaya, Madhya Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh.
108 this particular number is being dialling for the purposes
- To save a life
- To report a crime in progress
- To report a fire
Types of Emergencies which are covered under 108:-
- Medical Emergencies
- Serious Injuries
- Cardiac arrests
- Maternal/Neonatal/ Paediatric
- Animal bites
- High Fever
- Police Emergencies
- Robbery / Theft / Burglary
- Street Fights
- Property Conflicts
- Self – inflicted injuries / Attempted suicides
- Public Nuisance
- Missing People• Kidnappings
- Traffic Problems (Traffic Jams or Rallies, road blockage etc)
- Forceful actions, riots etc
- Fire breakouts
- Industrial fire hazard
Things Not To Do:
Do not call 108 if there is no serious problem or emergency. It is not a number for enquiry or information gathering. Do not play around by dialling 108 as a joke. Otherwise a call in real emergency could be blocked and a life will be lost. If you happen to call 108 by accident then do not hang up until the officer asks you to do so.